PARISH CHURCH
CAROLS SERVICE 2015
CHRISTMAS FAYRE 2015
ARMISTICE SUNDAY 2015
CHRISTMAS CAROL SERVICE
ARMISTICE SUNDAY 2014
SAINTS FLOWER FESTIVAL
ST OSYTH DAY 2014
ARMISTICE DAY SERVICE
FLOWER FESTIVAL 2013
A GIFT TO THE NEEDY
OPEN GARDENS 2013
COMEMORATION CLOCK
FLOWER FESTIVAL 2012
OUTDOOR CONCERT INSIDE!
SPECIAL JUBILEE SERVICE
SALVATION ARMY CAROLS 2011
ARMISTICE DAY 2011
PUB SIGNS IN FLOWERS
OPEN GARDENS 2011
CAROLS WITH SALLY ARMY
RBL ANIVERSARY 2010
NEW VICAR INSTALLED
FLOWER FESTIVAL 2010
CHURCH PARTY 2009
ARMISTICE SUNDAY 2009
ST OSYTH DAY 2009
ANIVS AND CELEBRATION
MARTIN LEAVES ST OSYTH
ARMISTICE DAY 2008
HEARTS AND ANGELS
900 YEAR FESTIVAL
EASTER 2008. PALM SUNDAY
REMEMBRANCE DAY
FASHION & FLOWERS
CRIB SERVICE 2006
CAROLS AT CHRISTMAS
COUNTRYSIDE FESTIVAL
SONGS OF PRAISE 2006
OPEN GARDENS 2006
FESTIVAL OF THE SEA
OPEN GARDENS 2005
V.E.DAY REMEMBERED
HARVEST SUPPER 2004
MEDIEVAL FAYRE 04
OPEN GARDENS 2004
REMEMBERING D-DAY
OPEN GARDENS 2003
ST. OSYTH DAY 2002
1950'S EXHIBITION
CHURCH ARMY OUTREACH
BEATING THE BOUNDS
JUBILEE CONCERT
LESSONS & CAROLS
FLOWER FEST 2001
YEAR 2000 FESTIVAL
CHURCH WOOD CARVING
LESONS AND CAROLS
WELCOME VICAR


THE PRIORY CHAPEL. ST OSYTH DAY
October 7th 2009.



The Rev Heather Connell leadinga section of the Congregation in the Chapel


St Osyth’s Day

It was very dull and later very wet when St Osyth’s Day was celebrated on 7 October in the Priory Chapel. This tradition was started over 100 years ago. The chapel was packed (standing room only for some) for the service of Evensong taken by Rev Heather Connell, with the sermon given by Rev Tony Pugsley.

Fortunately the chapel now has its own chairs, so these did not have to be carried across in all weathers, from the Church as before. We cannot complain about rain – we do need it!
The chapel was consecrated in 1899, but it was created in the beautiful vaulted undercroft built in the 13th century, linking to some of the oldest surviving parts of the original priory a hundred years earlier. It is a delight to worship in such an ancient building with its history of service to God.

Mark Roberts



A shot of the fan vaulted roof to the left



A view of the roof vaulting to the right



The portable organ brought from the Church



The Congregation sing with gusto

The top two photographs above show the wonderful fan vaulted roof of the St Osyth Chapel with both pictures being taken from the side farthest from the entrance doorway. The building is a fine example of how our forefather knew how to allow sounds, such as hymns and prayers, to be heard from any position within the Chapel. They did not have computers to aid their work, but experience showed them how to build for such a purpose, nearly eight hundred years ago.
Our thanks to the Priory owners, the Sargeant Family, who allow us to use the Chapel on this special day, this year setting out the chairs for our visitors to use.



A side alcove in the Chapel



A roof lamp, presumable used with oil

The St Osyth Chapel and the whole Priory itself have been neglected with little money being spent on maintenance for about forty years. Many of the listed buildings behind the walls are crumbling away and if remedial work is not undertaken soon, our Parish will end up being named after a ruin, such as Fountains Abbey near Rippon in North Yorkshire, also built in the twelfth century, which whilst being a beautiful building to visit is still a ruin! St Osyth Priory deserves better treatment.

Earlier St Osyth Day entries on this site can be visited by clicking the following 'links'

St Osyth Day 1933

St Osyth Day 1983

St Osyth Day 2001

St Osyth Day 2002

St Osyth Day 2004

St Osyth Day 2008



Rev Tony Pugsley reading evensong prayers with the Congregation in the Chapel

*****************************************************

The restoration of St Osyth Priory is something everybody wants to see happen, but controversy surrounds the subject. The Sargeant family, the present owners of the Priory, are preparing plans to undertake a restoration of the whole Priory, including the ancient park and woodland as well as the actual Priory buildings. This restoration programme could cost anything between £15M to £20M and to fund this, bearing in mind that the Priory is an international site of historic importance, they will explore all national and regional grant giving bodies, but because such grants could not be expected to cover the cost, the major funds will need to be raised by the Sargeant family themselves, who are expected to use a development procedure referred to as ‘An Enabling Development’.
This planning procedure in general terms, permits development in areas and under circumstances where it would never normally be permitted, provided the profit from such a development is to be used to restore an historic building.
In our case this would permit private development behind the Priory Walls on unlisted land, sufficient to raise the necessary finance together with grants received, to restore the Priory to its former glory.

We should add that no plans have been submitted to date.


M.J.T
13/10/09



copyright | privacy & security | communications| credits: Talbot Property Partners | © 2000-2016 St. Osyth Parish Council. all rights reserved