MUSEUM
MUSEUM OPEN FOR 2016
MUSEUM OPEN DAY 14
OPEN DAY AUGUST 2013
ACTIVITY OUTSIDE 2011
LOOK INSIDE 2011
25 YEARS CELEBRATION
MUSEUM OPEN DAY 09
MUSEUM 08-OPEN DAY
KING GEORGE III CANNON
CELEBRATIONS
U.S. AIR FORCE VISIT


MUSEUM OPEN DAY
FUN IN THE SUN



The main Russian battle tank the T34 was to be a star attraction, but unfortunately its transporter broke down and it was replaced at the last minute with 'The Vickers Abbot' a British made self-propelled gun developed during the 1950s for use by the British Army on the Rhine. The Abbot was armed with a 155 mm gun, one 7.62 mm anti-aircraft machine-gun and three smoke dischargers. A crew of four were protected by armour ranging from 6 to 12 mm thick. A Rolls-Royce six-cylinder diesel engine provided a top speed of 48 km/h and a range of 390 km.

Once again the local Aircraft Museum at Point Clear Bay was blessed with fine weather for their open day held on Sunday 16th August 2009.
Apart from the Museum itself, housed in a Napoleonic Martello Tower built in 1805, which in reality needed a whole day spent to view the many exhibits properly, the star attraction outside was a Vickers Abbot self propelled gun.
Many people present were dressed in either Second World War uniforms or clothing appropriate to the war years 1939 to 1945 and stalls were dotted around selling service memorabilia to enthusiasts.
The Napoleonic re-enactment troops gave their usual excellent display of cannon and musket fire using real gunpowder and wick to fire their weapons.



A small troop conducting their Rifle Drill



The officer explains how a bomb is primed



This ‘vet’ on his dispatch riders motor cycle



A period group standing by their staff car



Good for sale – who is for a helmet?



A selection of clothing, ration books etc



A sailor dressed for guard duty



Gordon King, former Parish Councillor held to ransom by his grandson, with wife Hilary
looking on



This young man is holding a very weighty flintlock. He needs help to hold it without dropping



The team to fire the cannon stand by for orders



The Cannon, a 12-pound Field Gun, Model 1857



Forces who worked together during the war



Some visitors to see the Vickers Abbot on open day



More friends in uniform of the day – ex tunics



The re-enactment troops instructed to ‘fire when ready’. It was noticeable that quite often the gun needed to be primed more than once to fire, but needless to say it was only powder and wadding that was actually fired



People queuing to view the interior of the Vickers Abbot, where four men fought



A ‘Field Kitchen’ can be set up quickly, anywhere!



This rifleman disappeared in a cloud of smoke

The many hundreds of people who visited Point Clear Bay for this open day enjoyed their trip and for some it was an opportunity to show their young children the real weapons of war only before seen by them on television. The museum is dedicated to one of the American Airmen, Raymond E. King, who died in the fight for freedom, his plane crashing off Clacton-on –Sea on its return from a mission. The remains of his P51 Mustang fighter can be seen in the museum.



Albert Scott, Chairman of the Museum Trustee showing a repeating rifle, which he said proved too heavy for general use but was the forerunner of the ‘Sten Gun’



John White, Vice Chairman of the St Osyth Parish Council with wife Sue, giving their grandson the chance to hold some bomb material, whilst a Warden looks on

18/8/09
M.J.T.



copyright | privacy & security | communications| credits: Talbot Property Partners | © 2000-2016 St. Osyth Parish Council. all rights reserved