MUSEUM
MUSEUM OPEN FOR 2016
MUSEUM OPEN DAY 14
OPEN DAY AUGUST 2013
ACTIVITY OUTSIDE 2011
LOOK INSIDE 2011
25 YEARS CELEBRATION
MUSEUM OPEN DAY 09
MUSEUM 08-OPEN DAY
KING GEORGE III CANNON
CELEBRATIONS
U.S. AIR FORCE VISIT


MUSEUM OPEN DAY CELEBRATION



The Chairman of Tendring District Council, Councillor Roy Smith, with Mr Albert Scott, Chairman of the East Essex Aviation Society, wearing an American Air Force uniform in tribute to their forces during the war, standing either side of a WW2 sea mine at the entrance to the museum.
This handbill was distributed beforehand to publicise the day. It is reproduced here as it contains all features of the open day.





Tendring Council Chairman, with his colleague Councillor Kevin Watson
standing alongside a cannon with the Napoleonic re-enactment troops



The Russian T34 medium tank, produced from 1941 to 1958 Its weight is
26.5 tonnes and has a crew of 4. Its armament consisted of a 76.2 mm
tank gun, 2 off 7.6 mm machine guns. It had a high top speed of 33 mph.
It is of interest that these tanks were in use around the world until 1996.



An army lorry with equipment for bomb
disposal work.



A field Kitchen circa WW2. Purpose to provide hot meals.



Two mules such as those used by the ‘Chindits’ in their jungle war in Burma from 1943 to 1944. They were led by General Orde Wingate.



A group in period uniforms for both the Second World War period and the Napoleonic era both men and women including a female factory worker



A ‘signals’ WREN sitting at an old Imperial Typewriter in the signals office of HMS Helder. This mock up is amongst the features to be seen when visiting the museum.



A random group of five military vehicles.



Troops getting ready to fire their weapons



They are marshalled so as to fire out to sea



They have just fired smoke can be seen above them.



The cannon has just been fired. It was quite a Bang!



A view from the roof of the Martello Tower, which houses the museum.
The Council Chairman, Roy Smith with Albert Scott museum Chairman, inspecting one of the many display cases sited around the museum.





Members of the museum volunteers in uniform.

These are some of the people who keep this facility in action throughout the year.

A small group in front of the tank. John White, black jacket and Michael Talbot, chequered shirt, both former Parish Council Chairmen.





Local children being put through their paces with wooden weapons.
What a fearsome drill sergeant.



A bit closer to see that some have remembered how to stand at attention, or at least – feet together!



Military and war time memorabilia for sale. To say the least, sight of a
ration book does take one back in time



Car parking organised by the museum on land nearby, was used by courtesy of the ‘Orchards Holiday Park’



Getting his breath back after trying to push it!



How the cannon works, explained by the leader.



Albert Scott and his wife posing for posterity. Albert agreed the day had gone very well. The weather stayed without rain until the last minute and Albert modestly estimated that around a thousand people visited in the course of the day. Don’t forget the museum opening hours are on the Aircraft Museum home page

8/9/08.


copyright | privacy & security | communications| credits: Talbot Property Partners | © 2000-2016 St. Osyth Parish Council. all rights reserved