HISTORICAL SOCIETY
GARDEN PARTY 2012
BEDFIELD HALL VISIT
KIRSTEAD HALL, NORWICH
FRINTON STATION HOUSE
BOURNE MILL VISIT
CHRISTMAS MEETING 2009
PROGRAMME 2009-10
VISIT COGGESHALL ABBEY
QUIZ NIGHT 2008
2007 GET TOGETHER
CHRISTMAS PARTY 2006
DEENE PARK VISIT
WAR EXHIBITION 2005
VISIT MELFORD HALL
VISIT PAYCOCKES HOUSE
VISIT TO LAVENHAM
EXHIBITION 2004
CHRISTMAS PARTY 2003
CHRISTMAS PARTY 2001
VISIT TO WISBECH
VILLAGE WALKS
PRIORY EXHIBITION -01
CHRISTMAS PARTY 2000
COFFEE MORNING


VISIT TO MELFORD HALL




The Historical Society visited Melford Hall at Long Melford, Sudbury, Suffolk on the 23rd July 2005. The building is now managed by the National Trust. This Tudor turreted house is built with red brick and was completed 1578. At one time the whole area including the Manor house belonged to the Benedictine Abbey at Bury St Edmunds but after Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries the King gave it to Sir William Cordell, a lawyer who eventually became Speaker of the House of Commons and Master of the Rolls. He began building the present house around the old manor in 1554. The building has a typical Tudor interior with fine panelling everywhere, particularly in the banqueting hall. The roof is surmounted by Middle Eastern onion shaped domes and huge chimneys, which can be seen in the photographs above and below.

We were told that Sir William Cordell entertained Queen Elizabeth I and an entourage of upwards of 2000 courtiers and staff, which was on such a scale and at such expense, that even very rich men could bankrupt themselves with such a visitation from their Monarch. The House today is much as it would have appeared when Queen Elizabeth visited.

In the early 1800's designer Thomas Hopper added the library with Regency bookcases and the furniture, including Greek style tables and lounge chairs which are there today. This designer was the architect of Penrhyn Castle.
During the last war in 1942 a major fire took hold in the north wing of the Hall and items were lost but the Hall today continues to show the history of the families who have lived there. Portraits of previous generations of the Cordell and the later Parker families are scattered around the building. Sir Harry Parker bought the hall in 1786 and several members of the family were prominent admirals. Naval memorabilia abounds and paintings of their exploits are hung in the library.



Our Party arriving at Melford Hall on a rather cloudy day whilst Joy Clinton
arranges for our admission



A closer look at at the party attending

Beatrix Potter the authoress was cousin to the wife of the tenth Baronet and visited Melford Hall frequently to the extent that one rooms is now known as the Beatrix Potter Room, having her bed and furniture on show, even the small room where she insisted on keeping her menagerie of pets safe from harm. Some of her original paintings of the Hall and its surroundings are on display.

Below - Enjoying our 'Cream Teas'.











The gardens were quite attractive with a herb garden surrounding a small pond, a topiary garden and specialist trees including Black Mulberry, the Tree of Heaven and a Judas Tree.

At the time of the Civil War the armies ransacked the house. Everything moveable was stolen and what could not be moved was destroyed and we were told that even the deer in the park were stolen!

6/8/05



copyright | privacy & security | communications| credits: Net Solutions Europe | © 2000-2008 St. Osyth Parish Council. all rights reserved